We partner with Boards and executive teams to help them realize their full potential and run at full PWR faster. Our exclusive team development approach draws on complexity theory and data-driven findings on team effectiveness. We integrate team Scorecards, offsites to build momentum, executive coaching, and governance mechanisms to catalyze performance excellence.
- Case Study
We invite you to learn about some of the real work we’ve done with select clients.
Team & Board Performance
Enabling an Executive Team to scale and grow the business
Situation & challenge
- Our client was a PE-sponsored financial services company
- Shortly after a $1B investment, the client needed to prepare its executive team for rapid growth
- The existing executive team was wearing multiple hats and leading with agility – as was suitable for a start-up environment. But the approach proved unwieldy and was not set up for scale
- The team sought support from ghSMART to apply its exclusive Full Power team development approach covering Priorities, Who and Relationships
Scope of work
- ghSMART engaged with the client over the course of 18 months
- We conducted developmental assessments for 6 executive team members (Who) with 360-degree SmartFeedbacks® and tailored acceleration plans
- Through our guidance and assessments, we de-risked hiring decisions for 11 hires (Who) to build the executive team strength
- We ran executive offsites with the team to increase alignment on goals and Priorities and deepen personal connectivity and Relationships within the team
- These team activities were complemented by coaching the CEO before and after the offsites to identify what’s working and what’s not. In this process we provided a critical perspective on habits of consistently high-performing teams
Impact and results
- Our work and partnership helped the CEO transform his team: We addressed the failing co-CEO set-up, sensitively exited 2 executives, identified and promoted an unknown star who was driving significant value, and hired and onboarded 11 new executives
- The successful set-up enabled expansion into a new geography within 12 months through executive team changes
- The approach accelerated the ‘gelling’ of a large executive team, as each member shared insights and goals from their personal developmental assessments
- The result was a shift in priorities from fire-fighting to infrastructure building (IT and processes)
- The executive team described ghSMART as a “cultural icon” and the work with us as a “rite of passage”
"No investment is more important than building our teams, and ghSMART helps us do it right."
"I have worked with ghSMART for over 10 years while I was Chairman and CEO of AMETEK Inc. Our biggest challenge was in sourcing and developing leadership, while growing at a very rapid rate. ghSMART was instrumental in their assessments of potential candidates to facilitate the selection and subsequent onboarding of top tier individuals for high level positions. The ghSMART methodology is superb."
"When FORTUNE broke off from Time Inc., we needed to build a high functioning team, much of it from scratch. ghSMART made it possible for us to do that. In an economy where talent is the most important resource, ghSMART understands that resource, and how to get the maximum from it, better than anyone else I know."